Spiced Black Chickpeas
Kala Chana | Spiced Black Chickpeas made with fresh ginger and roasted cumin is an essential dish at most of the Indian festivals, especially Navratri.
- 1 cup Kala chana (Black Chick Peas) - soaked overnight
- 2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 big tomatoes – grated or finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoon jeera whole (cumin)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
- 3 cups water
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- Soak the black chickpeas overnight.
- Wash the soaked black chickpeas and add them to a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water.
- Pressure Cook for 4-5 whistles (or 20 minutes in the IP); until soft.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat oil. Once hot add in hing, jeera and fresh ginger.
- Sauté until the jeera starts to splutter. Then add chopped/grated tomatoes and saute again for 5 minutes
- Add in the soft chickpeas followed by coriander powder, cumin powder and red chili powder.
- Mix and add 3 cups of water and salt.
- Mix, cover with a with lid and cook until the water evaporates; for 8-10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.