Sabudana Khichdi (Sago seeds khichdi)
Sabudana Khichdi – pulao made with sago seeds or tapioca! This vegan and gluten-free dish is extremely popular in India during the fasting season of Navratri. However it is loved by everyone anytime of the year and is extremely delicious and light on tummy too!
It is mostly enjoyed with yogurt on the side.
Tips to Make Non-Sticky Sabudana Khichdi
1. Soak the sabudana overnight.
2. Rinse the sabudana until water turns clear to get rid of the starch. This is an important step to do before you soak the sabudana.
3. Always use 1:1 ratio of sabudana and water. So for 1 cup of sabudana, use 1 cup of water to soak it.
4. In the morning, drain the sabudana. There will hardly be any water left in the morning after you have soaked the sabudana overnight. However drain using a colander just to make sure that there’s no water.
5. Check if the sabudana has been properly soaked by pressing a pearl between your thumb and index finger. You should be able to smash it easily.
6. Once you add the sabudana to the pan, do not cook or stir it for too long. You have to cook only for few minutes until most of the pearls becomes translucent. If you keep cooking and tossing for a long time, it is going to stick together.
A bowl of peanuts
Salt to taste
Chilli powder or black pepper powder
Curry Leaves (fresh or dried)
Some fresh coriander leaves (for garnishing)
1- Rinse sabudana under water until water turns clear. This is important to get rid of all the starch.
2- Transfer the rinsed sabudana to a large bowl and add exactly 1 cup water to it.
3- In the morning the sabudana would have soaked up all the water. But you still drain it using a colander just to get rid of any excess water.
4- To check if sabudana is ready to cook, press a pearl between your thumb and index finger. It should smash easily. Set it aside.
5- Heat a tsp of oil/ghee in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for few seconds.
6- Then add the diced potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring often until potatoes are almost cooked. It’s important to dice the potatoes small here so that cook quickly.
7- In a separate pan, roast some peanuts for some time till they become crispy. Grind them in a grinder for 1 minute or so making sure that they just become smaller in pieces and not get ground completely.
8- Add peanuts to the potato mix. Then add the green chilli, curry leaves and cook for 1 more minute.
9- Add the drained sabudana to the pan along with salt and chilli powder to taste.
10- Mix well until well combined.
11- Cook for few minutes until most of the sabudana pearls become translucent, stirring once or twice. Do not cook it for a long time else it will stick. Remove pan from heat. Add lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves and toss to combine.
12- Serve sabudana khichdi hot with chilled yogurt.
Get the ingredients here: