Rajma Masala (Red Kidney Beans Curry)
Rajma Masala is a little spicy and creamy and a delicious Punjabi curry made with kidney beans, onions, tomatoes and spices. This recipe makes the rajma restaurant style, which can be savoured with rice or naan.
- 1 cup Rajma (Red Kidney Beans) - soaked overnight or for at least 8-9 hours
- 1 large onion (optional)
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- Ginger garlic paste
- Green chilli (1 or 2 depending upon how hot you want to make)
- 1 pinch of Heeng (asafoetida)
- 1 pinch of Jeera (Cumin seeds)
- 2-3 Bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1 tablespoon Turmeric powder
- Red Chilli powder (as per taste)
- Salt to taste
- 1 pinch of Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter) or cooking oil
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Soak Rajma overnight or for at least 8-9 hours. Drain water. Add enough water to cover the rajma in a pressure cooker and add some salt and turmeric powder.
- Boil the rajma for about 5-6 whistles
- Make a paste of onion in a mixer or chop it very fine
- Make a separate paste of tomato and chilli or finely chop them
- In a separate pan, add ghee and then add heeng powder followed by bay leaves and cumin seeds.
- Slowly add onion and sauté for some time. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté again till onion turns brown
- Add tomato paste or chopped tomato and fry again for about 6-8 minutes
- Once the paste has been cooked properly, add coriander powder, chilli powder and fry
- Once this mixture is cooked properly, add this mixture to the pressure cooker
- Close the lid and wait for another 3-4 whistles. This helps in the mixture really mixed well with rajma
- The rajma beans should be cooked really well so that it almost melts when you put it in your mouth. If rajma is not very well cooked, it doesn’t taste that well.
- Put some garam masala powder and mix well and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or naan.