Sunny weather and Mango Lassi! I am sure most of you are familiar with this popular drink!
In the Indian subcontinent “Lassi” refers to any yogurt based drink. The popular ones are sweet lassi which obviously is sweetened with sugar and salty lassi which has salt and other spices in it.
Mango Lassi is another popular version which has sweet mangoes blended with yogurt. It’s thick, sweet and creamy and one of the best ways to enjoy mangoes!
Can we make a vegan mango lassi?
You definitely can. I would recommend using plain almond milk yogurt here. That works best! Or you can use any other non-dairy yogurt you like. Avoid coconut yogurt since that will give it a very coconut-y taste.
- 1 cup mango pulp 250 ml, use fresh if possible from 2-3 sweet mangoes else can use canned mango pulp
- 1 cup yogurt 240 ml
- 1/2 cup milk (cold) or cold water, to thin out the lassi
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar or adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Cashew nuts/Almonds to garnish, optional
- Saffron strands to garnish, optional
- To a large bowl or cup, add 1 cup fresh mango pulp and blend it to a smooth consistency. You can use canned mango pulp if you can’t find sweet mangoes.
- To the same bowl, now add yogurt
- Now add cold milk (or water). This step is optional – only if you want to thin out the lassi a bit. Also add the sugar and the cardamom powder/cardamom seeds. Sugar is also optional, depending on how sweet the mango or the pulp is
- Blend everything until well combined
- Chill before serving!
- You may garnish with nuts and saffron strands before serving.
You may also freeze this in popsicle moulds to make mango yogurt icecream.
Buy ingredients here: