Kadhai Paneer - Restaurant Style
This restaurant style Kadhai Paneer gets its unique flavor from freshly ground spices like coriander and red chilies! Enjoy it with naan or parantha.
Coriander seeds and dried red chilies are the main ingredients of the kadhai masala. You may also add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon sticks and fennel for some extra flavor. The spices are dry roasted until fragrant and then ground to a fine powder.
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- 4 green cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1 Small Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh cream 30 ml
- 1 medium red onion 150 grams, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli sliced
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 3-4 medium tomatoes 450 grams, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Garam masala
- ¾ teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 large green bell pepper (capsicum) cut into 1-inch pieces
- 350 grams cubed paneer, if using store-bought paneer soak it in warm water for 20-25 minutes before using
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi dried fenugreek leaves
- Coriander Leaves to garnish
- To a small kadhai or pan, dry roast the spices for kadhai masala for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat until fragrant.
- Remove kadhai from heat and transfer the roasted spices to a spice grinder.
- Let it cool down a bit and then grind to a fine powder. Set aside. You can also make this kadhai masala in advance and store it.
- In a large kadhai or any other pan, now melt butter with oil on medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and saute for 3 minutes until softened. Then add the sliced green chilli and ginger garlic paste and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix and cook for around 6 minutes until tomatoes are really soft.
- Then add 3 to 4 teaspoons of the kadhai masala that you prepared earlier (or add the whole thing if you like it spicy). Also add the Garam masala, Kashmiri red chilli powder.
- Add ginger – either grated or crushed. Stir the spices and cook for 30 seconds
- Then add 1/2 cup water and stir.
- Add cream, salt and sugar and mix. Cook for one minute.
- Add in the paneer and bell peppers (capsicum) and mix. Cover the pan or kadhai with a lid and cook for 5 to 6 minutes on medium heat until bell peppers are slightly softened. You only want them half cooked here
- Crush kasuri methi and add to the pan.
- Garnish with cut, fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve kadhai paneer with naan or parantha.