Treat Cold and flu-like symptoms at home
Cold and Flu are very common problems that every household experiences multiple times in a year. The occurrence increases when you have school-going children at home.
Instead of just going to a doctor and popping medicines into your mouth, there are some old age Indian home remedies for treating cold and flu-like symptoms at home as well.
You may try a combination of these home remedies as per your choice:
1. Turmeric Milk - This concoction of milk with the wonder herb turmeric, is a very popular remedy for treating colds. See the step-by-step recipe here.
2. Ginger - Ginger is a very powerful herb that helps soothe sore throat and cough. Just chew a small piece of ginger or make some ginger tea and let the magic begin.
3. Honey - Honey has a variety of antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. Drinking honey in tea with lemon can ease sore throat pain.
4. Garlic - Garlic contains the compound allicin, which may have antimicrobial properties. Adding garlic to your diet might reduce the severity of cold symptoms.
5. Vitamin C - Vitamin C plays an important role in your body and has many health benefits. Along with limes, oranges, grapefruits, leafy greens, and other fruits and vegetables, lemons are a good source of vitamin C. Adding fresh lemon juice to hot tea with honey may reduce phlegm when you’re sick. Drinking hot or cold lemonade may also help.
6. Probiotics - Probiotics are “friendly” bacteria and yeast that are found in your body, some foods, and supplements. They can help keep your gut and immune system healthy, and research shows that probiotics may reduce your chance of getting sick with an upper respiratory infection.
7. Salt water - Gargling with salt water helps upper respiratory infections. It may also decrease the severity of cold symptoms. For example, it may ease sore throat pain and nasal congestion.
Gargling with salt water reduces and loosens mucus, which contains bacteria and allergens. To try this remedy at home, dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in a full glass of warm water. Swish it around your mouth and throat. Then spit it out.
8. Kadha or herbal tea - a herbal tea made from natural herbs is also a great remedy for treating cold. The ingredients to make a herbal tea are fresh basil leaves, ajwain seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, fennel seeds, ground black pepper, cardamom and honey. Just boil all of these ingredients except honey (as many as available) and strain in a cup and add some honey (optional) to get the benefit of this amazing ancient Indian remedy.
So, next time you suffer from cold, try these remedies and see which one works for you. All the ingredients mentioned above are natural, so they are safe for consumption.
Get the ingredients to make Kadha or herbal tea here:
Disclaimer: Any or all the benefits outlined here are not medical advice. The information provided above is based on research done through various websites on the internet and do not constitute the opinion of the author. If you have any specific medical conditions, please consult your doctor before consuming this. This is in no way a substitute to any medication prescribed by your doctor.